Thursday, October 4, 2012


Filipino Cultural Night
With Spencer gone I had to occupy my time and nights even thought I was working 5 of 7 days that he was gone.  I had arranged to go with my British friends, Linda and Rachel, to a Filipino Cultural night put on by the hospitals ICU staff.  I had missed the Indian Cultural night a couple months before I arrived.  I would have preferred that actually, but it was more entertaining than just heading out to eat. 
I worked that day and decided I didn’t want to change prior to attending the event.  So I met up with them right after the shift and took the Anfal Taxi over to the G Complex Community Center (the walkway over to that part of the campus was closed so we would have to walk all the way around I didn’t want to do that. 
We had our name put in a raffle upon entering, and then headed to the food.  Some good, and some not so much, lots of rice, noodle dishes, and not spicy at all, which is my preference.  We sat around chatting.  I probably get together with these ladies once a month so I always have so much to be caught up in what they have been up to.  I learned of a Filipino lady that sells knock of purses from her apartment, and also about the Coffee Morning that I missed the bus to go.
Then we congregated to the other room where Rosie, a nurse from my unit was the MC, for the entertainment portion of the evening. We were introduced to traditional clothes, dances, songs, the Philippines National Anthem, flag, and various games.  Rosie pulled me and my friends up for a game of ‘Hip Hip Hooray!’  We were apparently so good she couldn’t make us lose so the 3 of us all won. 


We left before the evening was over; two of us had a shift in the morning.  It was fun to get to see a little of the Filipino pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment