Sunday, November 11, 2012


Red Sea Scuba?
Spencer was getting his scuba certification and for the open water part they were taking a trip to Jeddah and the Red Sea.   He had spent the last week and a half in class and in the pool learning about scuba.  He seemed to really be a natural at it. 
I thought it would be cool to go along to Jeddah since it was somewhere I wanted to visit anyway.  I did enjoy myself, but really for only one dive not all three.  I really had intended to sight see.  I heard Jeddah had some great architecture, old buildings, homes that they have kept up, and really neat markets that had everything from perfume to carpets.  I was really excited to finally see something cool in Saudi Arabia.
  Well, we got there Wednesday evening, Thursday was scuba all day at the Sheraton Beach, and Friday was an early dive (I didn't take part in) which also turned out to be the best dive with clarity and colors.  Spencer didn't have any problems with equalizing his ears and was down 30 ft while I was still making my way to the bottom.  I guess the buddy system is a little lost for him though, since he is supposed to stay with me as we go down. 


 But I also didn't’ get to do any sightseeing.  I keep forgetting everything is closed on Fridays until late afternoon or at all.  So I once again was disappointed and annoyed with Saudi Arabia.  It wouldn't be open until 3PM or after and we were leaving for the airport at 5:45, considering traffic both ways from our accommodation to the Old Jeddah town there just wasn't enough time.
 
So basically I got a weekend away from Riyadh. I enjoyed some good food, and the company of some new friends.  The diving was just off the same beach all three times, considering that Spencer and the other’s were learning to dive it was okay. But for me after dive 1 I was a little bored.  I thought I might also get away with not paying for the equipment which made making the dives worth it but we had to pay for my dives at the end.  So hind sight I would have spent Thursday sightseeing Jeddah, and just done one dive on Friday which would have been enough.  Why does everything in my life have to be hindsight, can’t I make a good decision foresight?.



We drove along the Corniche road back from Sheraton Beach the first night.  I saw several of the cool art structures along the road, the floating Mosque (which doesn't even compare to the gorgeous mosque in Casablanca, Morocco which also hangs out into the ocean), and then masses of people filling every inch of sand on beaches, tons of boats, jet skis congesting the water, women swimming in the abayas (I think I would have drowned).  It was a sight to behold.


I haven’t decided if I will go back. I would have to have everything completely organized, and get on the Preservation Society tour for me to be inspired to fork up all that cash.  

No comments:

Post a Comment