Tuesday, July 24, 2012


July 8, 2012
Yesterday as I was walking to and from work I noticed a woman spraying off the walkway with the hose and the sprinklers watering the complex lawn during mid-day.  It is encouraged for us to take short showers and yet locals waste so much.  I guess we know Conservation and the concept is beyond the locals.  Maybe another 50 years?.  
I was having a chat with the guy in charge of the general nursing orientation.  We were talking about various things, activities, education, vacation and other questions I had.  I then proceeded to walk to the other side of the Family Medicine Clinic so I could book an appointment to get some free prescriptions. I will take advantage of that since nothing else is free here.  Anyway, George is his name came over to me again and ‘suggested’ that I cover up my arms, ‘wear my lab coat or something’ from now on.  For some reason I was under the impression that I could wear modest clothing.  My recruiting agency didn't do well in preparing me for the trip.  Actually, no I can’t wear shorts or short sleeves, and I have to make sure it is all baggy like I did in 90’s when grunge was in; and yes definitely bring 20 plus passport photos because everything you do here they will ask for multiples. They could have said something like that instead of leaving me with so many false impressions.
The hospital uses Power chart, and computer charting system for everything, and I mean everything can be found or done on it when it comes to our patients. I used Power chart when I was working in Pittsburgh and I liked it. But apparently we have four 2-hour courses of training for it.  It good refresher but there are some women that are slow, slower than molasses on a cold winter’s day.  I just sit there waiting for the next step, ‘really?!’ And it turns out that this course is a waste of time, we really do most things on paper and sometimes duplicate charting, paper and computer.  I don't get what the point of the class was, teach new concepts when you are prepared to implement them, everyone will have to retake the course in the future when it does change because they will have forgotten everything.  
Well,  my housemate Shelly left for home.  She had signed a two year contract and only been here 4 months so far. Her brother was sick recently and got intubated two days ago.   She got a flight home the next morning, and left me a note that it will probably be a while if ever when she returns.   I felt bad for her.

I was thinking about the nurses here and why they would have left home to come here to work.  It is good money generally but as I chatted with a woman in the Nurses Clinic who came from the States, the big bucks and good days are gone. Everything used to be free, Internet, taxis, gym but now that all comes at a cost and prices have gone up in Saudi in recent years.  They may not be making much money off us of from the cuts of freebies but the benefits and reasons to be here as a Westerner has definitely gone down. 

I went out to Eskan Village to see Spencer. The security there is quite lengthy.  I took a taxi out there who actually didn’t know where he was going and we went on a mouse hunt looking for the place.  It is hard to explain what we did except to say we drove right by it but didn’t recognize it as such, then headed back in the direction of town because there wasn’t an overpass for us to crossover the freeway and head back the other direction.  There are several sets of barricades and Saudi military to pass before getting to the American side of security.   Spencer came a few minutes later.  We signed me in and I handed over my dependant Military ID and got a visitor pass for 48 hrs. 
It was strange because so much had happened from when I saw him last that it felt like a month had past when in reality it hadn’t even been a week yet.  I missed him tremendously.   We had a great reunion and spent the ‘weekend’ together. Weekends here are Thursday and Friday.  So in Saudi it is TGIWednesdays.  But I don’t think my mind will ever transfer the weekend for anything other than Friday, so I will call Wednesday Friday, even though I work shifts and over weekends.
There was a July 4th Celebration on the 5th.  The Celebration held a BBQ, watermelon eating & carving contest, and a talent show.  The party continued on into the evening but we didn’t stay.  No, Spencer did not jump rope at the talent show.  He thought about it but he’s ‘bored’ with the routine and much of the act as he says is the enthusiasm he has in it.   I was told that I better start practicing because next family reunion it would be a double act, Spencer and I both jump roping. Ha-ha! 
It continues to be warm, I feel zapped of my energy when I walk outside.  I haven’t really been out on the town yet.  I am glad I bought that guide book even though it is 8 years old.  It has things nearby that we can do and I’ve made a little list I when I have the weekend off that we can venture together.
I have a feeling that when I start working I will feel taken advantage of.  I will be sure to take as many vacations as possible.

2 comments:

  1. TGIWednesdays, love it! Hahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simone,
    Thanks for starting the blog - it helps close the mileage gap. If anyone can handle the changes, I think you and Spencer can do it.

    ReplyDelete