Sunday, July 29, 2012

My apartment.  I live on the hospital property or compound.  There are 7 housing complexes on the grounds at various distances and levels of privacy.  Mine is one of three closest to the hospital. It takes me about 10 minutes to walk to my unit depending on whether the doors are locked or not.  It's been happening more regularly, it might be because of Ramadan but I'm not sure.  It's frustrating to walk in the direction of my usual exit to find it locked, then have to retrace my steps and walk all the way around the building on the outside.  It really doesn't make sense but I am coming to realize that many things don't.

I call my apartment a cave because it is so dark and old.  I have the unit the farthest down the hallway, and the farthest away from the exit of my complex.

Most units are shared with one other person.  Usually they try to combine similar cultures and habits.  My flatmate whom I only had for a week went home because her brother became really ill and hospitalized.  She attempted to get an extended leave, which was denied.  I probably won't have a new flat mate until the next orientation, after Ramadan.

We have a swimming pool that is in the middle of the complex.  We also have an unused pool table, and a dozen computer in the complex lobby, which is what I use since I refuse to pay for my internet.  I have heard stories about women from other more secluded complexes, mostly Europeans mind you, going topless at the pools.  Thinking nothing of the workers on the roof who don't get any work done that day.  It is so funny to me that they lack the awareness and respect that modesty is a big deal here.  What is okay in their country may not be okay here, just maybe.  I get enough attention with my clothes on, and no make-up;  I wouldn't be looking for any more.


My kitchen


My Bedroom

My living room (my carpet is at least 30 years old)



My apartment 504 and the long hallway to the elevator

No comments:

Post a Comment