Wednesday, August 29, 2012


August 28, 2012



Today I am 30. Strange to think that last year I had just been traveling around Serbia, Romania, and Moldova flying into Austria to spend my birthday with my family, and this year I am in Saudi Arabia with Spencer.  Spencer took the day off and had a few things planned for my birthday. Originally we were going to go horseback riding but leaving late, and not finding the golf course where they had the horses in a timely fashion by the time we arrived the man told us that he thought we weren’t coming so he sent the trainer home, and the horses were put away.  We did call the golf course for directions and told them we were running late, but the message stopped there and wasn’t forwarded to the stables.  We didn’t push the issue because it was tremendously hot and the thought of riding horses in the nearby canyon nearby wasn’t too appealing to either of us.  Maybe we’ll come back another day.






That evening Spencer took me to the Globe Restaurant which is at the top of the Faisaliah Tower. At the top of the tower there literally sits a huge globe, in which within is the Restaurant.  So up there in the dimly lit Restaurant you get great views of the city.  It was a fancy place. The tables were well spaced around the perimeter of the Globe allowing each table a great view of the city below.






  The food was the fancy, tasty, and small portion kind of food. We enjoyed ourselves.  It was one of those things that you do once for the experience. 







The following day I went out with a co-worker of Spencer’s to get a manicure and pedicure.  My feet were in bad shape with such extreme dry weather.  I paid an extremely high price for the quality of manicure I got, but the pedicure was worth the price and my feet have never felt smoother. We’ll see how long that lasts.
On the drive there, our driver told us to look at the age of the driver next to us. I automatically assumed that he would be ancient but to my surprise he was actually probably no more than 10.  He was accompanied by his mother in the passenger seat with two siblings jumping around in the back.  She probably had errands to run and since she can’t drive and without a husband presently she got her preadolescent son to do it.  I see families all the time with kids sitting on their dad’s lap behind the stirring wheel, many kids jumping around with no seat belts.  This is probably one of the most dangerous countries to drive and they have no concern for the safety of their kids.  It’s disappointing to me.
Anyway, Spencer invited a small group of people to meet in the evening at the Community Center for cake and ice cream in celebration of my birthday.  He came home directly from work and started on his masterpiece, Chocolate peanut butter cake with chocolate and peanut butter frosting.  It didn’t turn out quite like he wanted, it didn’t stay in one piece but he only received raving reviews of its taste. ‘Nothing but the best for my wife,’ he said with a smile as he commented on the remark that it was all made from scratch.
It was a wonderful couple days of celebration, now I have moved forward into a new decade of life. It seems strange to be childless, really still slightly directionless as to a career, and without passion.  Where does it come from?  How do I obtain it?  I don’t think I could have ever foreseen my future to be as such when I was dreaming about my future as a child. I am satisfied and content with my life as it is, I’ve had many wonderful years of experiences and doing things that many will never get to do.  I’ve met friends from around the globe and seen many of the world’s wonders.  Then on the home front I have some of the dearest and most wonderful friends who have celebrated my joys, and carried me through the rough patches.  I can thank my Heavenly Father for blessing me with so much. 

2 comments:

  1. Yay, glad you had a fun birthday! And I certainly would like a slice of that cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday, love. An adventurous one for the books!

    ReplyDelete