Monday, September 24, 2012


Schwetchen Knodel
We went to the Rabbi Veggie Market and bought ourselves a little garden. Most things at the market are sold in bundles.  You can’t pick the pieces but bundles.  So we had tons of veggies. The unfortunate and part we found disappointing was that it wasn’t very fresh, and the produce began to go bad quickly.  The Fruit and Veggies are separated.  The veggies, have eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers of all colors and spicy, carrots, cabbage, cucumbers, butternut squash, as well as other random squash.  Fruit market, has more variety than veggies but lots of apples, bananas, pomegranate, melons and fewer selection of kiwi, plums, pineapple, mango.  I happened to find apricots and thought about the usual knodel that I was missing out on at home, a family tradition, so I snatched up these little apricots to make knodel myself.  Although, growing up we had Italian Plums or prunes and not apricots. Knodel is a dumpling.  This particular one made with potato dough, rolled around fruit in this case Apricot, boiled, and served with buttered bread crumbs and sugar.  Delicious!



I didn’t have the exact recipe with me and my dad when I emailed him couldn’t remember and didn’t have the recipe either.  I did a search online and found a similar one.  I think it turned out fantastic. It was Spencer first experience with knodel.  Although he thought they were good, he said it is sweet like a dessert, and if I was going to pick a dessert this would not be what I would choose.  Well, it isn’t going to stop me from making it and keeping my tradition.





No comments:

Post a Comment